Moving Home Checklist
Click Here To Download a PDF
1 Month Before Moving Day
- Confirm your moving date with Aussie
- Get rid of anything you don’t want to be moved
- If needed, book time off from work for the moving date
- If needed, make arrangements for child minding and pet sitting for the removal date
- If you are packing yourself, purchase moving boxes and supplies.
- Arrange mail forwarding to your new address with the Post Office.
- Prepare a list of friends, businesses, and personal accounts that need to be notified about your move.
- Make an inventory of your belongings.
2 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Anything that isn’t absolutely essential should be packed. Try to label boxes with their destination room.
- Be conscious of the food you buy from this point onwards. Make sure to cook all frozen food – you do not want to transport this during the move.
- Contact your doctor and dentist to get copies of all records and arrange to transfer files to the new health care providers.
- Contact your insurance provider to update your home insurance, car insurance and other policies you may have.
- If you do not think all items will fit into your new house at first, you could book a storage unit with us to hold some of your belongings until there is space for them.
- Book a parking suspension or speak to neighbours to make sure there will be a space outside your home for the moving van.
The Week Leading up to the Moving Day
- Confirm with the solicitor and estate agents that the move is going to plan.
- Pack valuables and important documents in a safe place to take in the car with you.
- Finish up any packing. Make sure to pack a bag/box of essentials such as a change of clothes, blankets, snacks and toiletries so that you don’t need to rummage through all of your boxes on the first night in your new home.
- Find out when you will receive the keys to your new home.
- Strip the beds and take down curtains.
- Disconnect any appliances that you are taking with you e.g the cooker, washing machine, dishwasher.
- Keep any essential boxes separate so that they don’t get packed away.
- Give the crew your instructions on what is moving and what is not.
- Leave all the sets of keys as arranged for the new owners.
- Check the house over, complete a walk around with the crew and relax. We’ll take care of the rest.